Monday, September 27, 2010

Obituary of John Francis Mix (1926 - 1981)

My grandmother had several old newspaper clippings of obituaries and such that she pasted onto sheets of paper. Sadly, the originating newspaper information has been trimmed off nearly all of them, but they are still extremely valuable to me!!

One day when the newspapers I want are online, I'll be able to match them up - until then, I wait! Isn't it funny how there are so many millions of pages of old newspapers available online, all EXCEPT for the handful you really want? :-D

Today I am sharing the obituary of my great-uncle John Francis Mix. My mom always referred to him as "Uncle Johnny".

He was the 9th of 10 children born to William Homer MIX and Cornelia Elizabeth AKINS.

I'm lucky enough to have inherited through several people Uncle Johnny's wallet. Among the various papers in it there were 4 pictures: one of a young Johnny and his wife, one of me, one of my sister Heather, and one of my cousin Kimberly. It was surprising and sweet to come across my picture in his wallet.

My mom doesn't remember me ever meeting him in person. I had thought I had a distant memory of meeting him once - but I can't verify it at the moment. You know how those childhood memories go - did it really happen or did you think it happened - hard to tell sometimes!! I think I'll just decide that yes I did meet him, because that makes me happier! :-)

Here's a scan of the obituary my grandmother saved:



***Update on 28-Nov-2010 to add text of obituary:

Obituary Text:

John F. Mix
Syracuse - John F. Mix, 55, of Townsend Towers, Syracuse, and formerly of Ithaca, died Monday, Dec. 7, 1981 in the Syracuse Veterans Administration Hospital. He was a native of Geneva.

He was formerly employed at Ithaca Gun Co., retiring in 1971. He was a veteran of World War II.

Mr. Mix is survived by his wife, Pauline Bush Mix of Syracuse; five brothers: Floyd Mix of Homeosso Springs, Fla., Lawrence Mix of Ithaca, Donald Mix of Watkins Glen and Leslie and William Mix, both of Trumansburg.

Also surviving are his mother, Cornelia Mix of Ithaca; three sisters, Daisy deMark and Mazie Patrick, both of Ithaca, and Ann Domelle of Harrisburg, Pa.; and nieces and nephews.

A funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday at Rhode-Covert Funeral Home in Trumansburg with the Rev. Michael B. Cremean officiating. Burial will be in Hector Union Cemetery at Burdett. Friends may call from 10 to 11 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

No comments:

Post a Comment