Thursday, September 1, 2011

Obituary of Eva B. Presher (abt. 1897 - 1942)

This obituary is one of the newspaper clippings that was in my grandmother's possession. All identifying information about the newspaper has been trimmed away. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure why this person was in the collection. Many of the clippings she inherited from her mother so it's most likely this person was a friend of the family in some way.

Here is the clipping:

One clue for me is the mention of the town of Waverly. Many of my great-grandmother's half-siblings lived in Waverly, Tioga County, NY (the AKINS family) so it is likely that the connection is through that family line. I am guessing friends or neighbors.

When I searched on ancestry.com I did find someone had posted a family tree that included Eva (and yes, I will contact them to give them a copy of this obituary!) - their family tree lists the same exact death date as this obituary so I'm very confidant it's the same person.

I also quickly found Eva in the 1920 Federal Census in Barton, Tioga County, NY, living with her husband Floyd, and 2 young sons, James and Leon. All these names match the obituary.

If only all my own family line obituaries matched up so nicely like this! :-)



Obituary Text:

Mrs. Eva B. Presher, 45, of Waverly RD 1 died Monday night, Aug. 17, 1942 at Tioga Co. General Hospital. Survivors: Husband, Floyd Presher; daughters, Anna May and Alva, at home, sons, James of Sayre, Leon and Gordon of Waverly, Robert, Floyd Jr. and Wilson, at home; sister, Mrs. Harold Barh of Rochester. Funeral Thursday, 2 p. m. at Kolb Funeral Home, Waverly. The Rev. Delbert Lindsey and the Rev. Judd L. Hunter. Lockwood Cemetery.


No comments:

Post a Comment