Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's the little things...

So there I was the other day, busily entering my Mix cousins that are in Kansas into my family tree database, and I came across one person in particular that caught my eye.....

Her name was Minnie Mix. She was born in December 1884 in Kansas, daughter of my 1st cousin (4 times removed) Jasper Mix and his wife Harriet Shriner. Jasper and Harriet were born and had married back in New York, but at some point around 1880-ish had journeyed with their children out to Kansas to make a life there.

Why did Minnie catch my eye? Well, in the 1900 federal census, she and her husband were living with her parents in Mission Creek township, Wabaunsee County, Kansas. That's a cool thing because a lot of times you lose track of the women in your family tree once they get married due to the name change. But when they stay living with the parents and the husband moves in, you get to find out the new family name.

Here's the census, it's a little messy, but I'm used to it:


So finally, here's why she caught my eye. She married a "William Maus". Sounds like a nice german boy.

But then that makes her name "Minnie Maus".

AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHa. whew. sorry, when you're looking at stuff like this for hours, you never know what you might find funny.

I'm reminded of old Mad magazines, or was it Crack'd? They used to put funny little things in the margins, little drawings, and sometimes they would do the funny name thing: if so-and-so married so-and-so, then their name would be so-and-so. And it would be really funny. Sorry, I can't think of any examples at the moment.

Okay, back to work!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa! Excellent! I have a list of 'special' names I've stumbled into. Like John Lear who named his daughter Crystal Shanda. That's right, Crystal Shanda Lear.

    And it was Mad Magazine, they called it Marginal Thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, too funny. I remember those MAD magazine things. I also like on Monday nights, Leno does his "headlines" segment (right before midnight). Sometimes he'll do the odd named marriage notices from local papers. Some of them are reaalllly funny, some almost obscene. ;-)

    ReplyDelete