Friday, July 10, 2009

Surnames and Rehoboth, Massachusetts

I can't keep track of anything anymore (did I ever, or did I just imagine it?) - so I have all these spreadsheets all over the place, for genealogy, for bills, for work. It's not that I'm some kind of excel guru, I don't do all the fancy stuff, it's basically just lists. I like lists, and excel is really good for lists.

So this particular list is my direct line surnames and their place of origin in my records - in other words, what town did they originally inhabit in the US and the originating country?

If I could figure out a way to import excel into my blog, I'd do that, but none of these cute little buttons up top here in blogger.com look like they do that for me, and let's just not even go to the little edit html tab. I can do word or line formatting in html, but there's no way I can format me up a table. I'll put that on my list of things to learn!

Anyway, I have a bunch of families who first lived in Rehoboth Massachusetts, we're talking 1600s here. On my mom's side, most of the families were early New Englanders.

I must disclaim at this point - some of the originating towns in England/Wales etc. are conjecture as far as I am concerned. There's all those great genealogy books from the late 19th century and I love them to pieces for the great lists of descendents in America; but some of them you just have to take with a grain of salt when they go back to England or Scotland because a lot of them were really just trying to prove links to nobility that didn't exist.

And so, my ancestors who came to America in the 1600s and first lived in Rehoboth, Massachusetts (or almost first lived there):

BLISS - first lived in Rehoboth, came from Northampton England, either Daventry or Preston Parva

BOSWORTH - first lived in Rehoboth, came from Hingham, Norfolk, England

BOWEN - first lived in Rehoboth, came from Ilston, Glamorganshire, Wales

COOPER - first lived in Hingham, Masschusetts, moved to Rehoboth, came from Hingham, Norfolk, England

DAGGETT - first lived in Rehoboth, not sure where they came from yet

IDE - first lived in Rehoboth, my line moved to Clarendon Vermont, came from Ide, Devon, England

KENT - first lived in Taunton Masschusetts, then Swansea, Masschusetts, then Rehoboth, not sure where they came from yet

PECK - first lived in Hingham, Massachusetts, moved to Rehoboth, came from Beccles, Suffolk and Hingham, Norfolk, England

PERRY - lived in Rehoboth, not sure where they came from yet

SMITH - lived in Rehoboth, not sure where they came from yet


I just re-discovered the Daggetts the other day and found an awesome book online. Amazing that I can forget about a direct line surname for years. It's the Problem Of The Wives, darn name changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment