Sunday, July 10, 2011

Second Hand Treasures

Yay for second-hand goods! You just never know what you'll come across that means nothing to someone else, but is wonderful to you!

I stumbled across a little gem in eBay - someone was selling their grandmother's scrapbook. It contains newspaper clippings from the Owego, Tioga County, NY area. It's pretty fragile since they are original newspaper clippings. They were cut out and pasted onto what seems to me to be the sacks that flour came in?

And now it's mine!!!

At first glance, it doesn't look like it contains any clippings that are for my direct ancestors, but I don't care, it's a treasure of information from the very early 1900s for the area. It's got a boatload of obituaries, marriage notices and biographies for the area. Since there are few newspapers from the Finger Lakes region that have been scanned and provided online, this is really important information to be able to share. I plan to post all of them.

Here's some pics (click for bigger):









4 comments:

  1. Aren't you grateful to people who clipped and pasted and saved?! My mother was a clipper, too, but didn't really organize what she clipped. Little was saved except the obituaries (for which I'm really grateful). Your new possession looks like a gem of gems! Thanks for sharing it with us, Leah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! My grandmother was a clipper too, and yes, I'm so grateful she was!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treasure. I will admit, though, that I would have never thought to look on eBay for something like this.

    ReplyDelete