Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cinderella's Castle and Genetics

Right! So, the other week I got back from a wonderful vacation at Walt Disney World. I was preparing a fun little post of pictures of Cinderella's Castle comparing the castle from 2011 to the slides my Dad has scanned from the 1970s.

As I was going through everything, I came across this scan of a slide from 01-Sept-1972:


I went to my pictures from the other week, and found this one from 02-Oct-2011:


Nobody can tell me I'm not related to my Dad!!! :-) These pics were taken 39 years, 1 month and 1 day apart (that's 14,266 days total). They do a pretty good job of maintaining the castle down there, don't they? Although it does seem they use a lighter color for the "mortar" in between the stones nowadays...

Another little fun comparison photo I came across while doing this was a picture of the carousel and my sister and my 3 year old niece on it:


And here's me and my Mom! The horses don't look a day older, it's really amazing how things are maintained:


If only I'd thought to look at these slides before the trip so we could try to get the same horse! Oh well...that will have to be next time! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Another difference - I rode the horse too, you were only just 1 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My compliments on noticing the similarities. Some people would just brush by them. You may notice the 'flare' of sun return on my original image of the castle. Today's digital cameras eliminate that. Next time we go to Disney, we'll have to duplicate some originals!

    ReplyDelete