Saturday, July 13, 2013

Surname Saturday - Lots of German Names

So prior to what I like to call "The Great Brick Wall Collapse of 2012", when I researched my maternal Grandfather's line I only had 3 surnames:

Domelle
Obendorfer
Reiser

I still have zilch on Obendorfer - that was my great-grandmother and I'm pretty sure she must have been an Austrian spy because she kept her secrets close and never let them go.

That left me with Domelle and Reiser.  These 2 German names came from a region in what is in modern day Romania but for nearly two hundred years was settled by lots of Germans.

Thanks to my research on my ancestral towns of Triebswetter (a.k.a Tomnatic, a.k.a Nagy-Õsz) and Glogowatz (a.k.a Vladimirescu, a.k.a. Glogovác) I now have lots of new German surnames in my direct line.

My newly discovered surnames are:

Hüber
Klein
Lauer
Pfaff
Schneider
Schreiber
Strohoffer
Wolf

I'm still working on filling in the dots for these new surnames (as they relate to my direct line) but in the meantime I did a little word cloud to show a relative snapshot of the number of relatives I have for each surname so far.  It will be interesting to do this over time and see how they change.





No comments:

Post a Comment