Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - A Mother's Poem (07 February 2010)

For today's "Sentimental Sunday" theme, I've scanned in a copy of a poem my great-great grandmother Hattie Kirby Akins Quick Robinson Allen wrote. (And yes, she did marry 4 times!)

Hattie wrote this in 1928 when her son Charley Akins passed away unexpectedly. He was only 39 years old. Hattie was 62 at the time.

"In Memory of Charley Akins
Who passed away November 13 1928

I mourn his loss and well I may
He's in my mind both night and day
his kindly words and loving face
no one on Earth can take his place
the blow was great the shock severe
I little thought his death so near
but only those who have lost can tell
the sorrow of parting with one you
love so well

sadly missed by his Mother"


I have always thought this so touching. My grandmother was only 8 years old when her uncle passed away and I don't know why he died. To my knowledge he was not married and did not have any children. Creating this post made me realize my lack of knowledge on him, so I double-checked and since his death is more than 50 years ago (requirement when not your direct-line), I can order a death certificate from New York state.

1 comment:

  1. O Leah,
    That on tugged on my heartstrings. Her pain was, o so, palpable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete