Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - 27 April 2010

This is the grave marker for my grand-uncle Laurance Wilber Mix.

The story that has been passed down to me on the unusual spelling of his first name is that his mother, Cornelia Akins Mix had the name "Laura" picked out. When he turned out to be a boy, she just added on the "-nce".''

He was the 3rd of the 10 children born to William and Cornelia Mix and he had 7 children of his own, 4 boys and 3 girls.

I was able to locate his obituary at newspaperarchive.com in the Post-Standard (of Syracuse, NY) and it states that he was a master mechanic, and an avid hunter and fisherman.

Although he did not die until 1989, I'm afraid I did not get a chance to meet him (that I know of, if I did, I was a baby or small child).

He is buried in the same plot as his father, William Homer Mix, in Willow Glen Cemetery, Tompkins County, NY.



No comments:

Post a Comment