Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance."

Using the turnpike to drive to Pittsburgh takes me through 4 tunnels under mountains, one under water. That's 10 tunnels to drive through within a 72-hour period. When I was little I liked tunnels. It was weird how your radio would go away and you were underground where it never rained and the sun never shone and the dirt was covered with shiny clean white tiles.

Thanks to Stephen King that all went away! After reading The Stand, I never felt the same about tunnels again. I drive through them, hands at 10 and 2, looking to see which side has the little walkway, just in case I happen to need it in the future. That scene in the tunnel out of manhatten was truly one of the creepiest, most unsettling things I ever read.

The one other scariest thing I ever read was from The Shining. It's not in the jack nicholson movie version, but is in the mini-series with that guy from Wings. It's the scene where Jack Torrance is outside with the hedge animals. The first time I read it, I was actually, literally afraid to turn the page!! I've never felt like that since, I probably never will (too jaded!).

And that concludes my list of scary scenes I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment