Monday, May 12, 2008

"I go into my library and all history unrolls before me."

I neglected to mention that I graduated from grad school the other weekend. I now have a masters in library and information science. December of 2005 I was taking my end-of-year vacation time and spent it day after day doing genealogy. Doing that kind of research, the whole day can pass and I don't even notice, I love research. That was the week that I made the connection to royalty in scotland, I was SO happy (after verifying it 8 different ways). Going back to work was such a let-down, I wanted to find a way to do research all the time.

I found on the internet a resume for a lady who was basically a professional researcher. She would get hired by publishing companies or lawfirms and get paid to find out information on certain topics and present it back. I thought: That's what I want to do! I already love finding out information for people I know, imagine getting paid for it! I looked at what kind of schooling she had and it was an MLIS.

From there, I found an online program and by February I was accepted! School started May 15, 2006. I graduated April 26, 2008.

I really had no idea what I was getting into. Full-time job and year round schooling is pretty overwhelming. But I survived, and actually miss it (at least a little bit).

In the meantime though, I changed jobs and am not in such a rush to find another career. So what do I do now? Do I still want to be a professional researcher? Yeah, deep down, yeah. Do I want another degree? Yeah, probably. A master's in history probably. Unless I do something like software engineering. :-) You just never know...those IT guys have all the power and control. I wouldn't mind being part of that club...I like being in control.

But really, really what I would want is another masters in a specific subject. I already investigated, there's no online masters in history, I'd be forced to go to west chester or something, and that's certainly not happening any time in the near future.

So, I guess I will take some time off from schooling and relax for a little while (we'll see how long that lasts!)

No comments:

Post a Comment