Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit! Kill da wabbit!"

That crazy Robin was back this morning slamming into my new clear windows. I got the back windows replaced this week finally - their seals had broken, so water had gotten inside to make them cloudy. I had to put the shades down! I think he must be a little dim....


Anyway, last night a bunch of us went and saw Hairspray downtown. It was good! I wasn't sure what to expect because I usually like seeing more "opera"-type stuff, but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Although, I kept having visions of John Travolta as a woman, and I didn't even see that version of it... The Academy of Music is a really beautiful building, with gaslights out front. No chandelier, it's being renovated. Thinking of the chandelier made me think of Phantom of the Opera, I've seen it three times and yet I could probably happily sit through it again. Cats was good for one time, I don't know if I'd feel the need to see it again. A really fun show I saw all the way back in college was Into the Woods. It was a funny take on fairy tales. I still have the main melody in my memory. I've never seen it anywhere else, I guess it isn't popular at the moment. During college was also the first time I saw one of the Mozart operas(?) operettas(?). Can't remember which one, but was one of the comedic one's. I had no idea what to expect because it was all in italian, that was the first time I'd ever seen a super-titles. Below is a picture of eisenhower auditorium at penn state which is where I saw all those shows during school. Thanks mom and dad for buying me tickets! It's not a pretty building I think, like Schwab auditorium is, but there have been some odd building trends over the years...
I think bugs bunny greatly added to my appreciation of opera. I can still see him and elmer fudd in the wagner one - and the barber of seville. and of course, there is tom and jerry with the piano pieces. I miss those kinds of cartoons!

Speaking of those cartoons, one of the best where where daffy duck would get shot and his beak would spin around. Truly, how can you top that?

No comments:

Post a Comment