Thursday, November 13, 2008

"You bet your sweet bippy. "

A million years ago when I was little I would spend the summers at my grandparents house. I would stay up late to watch Night Gallery on channel 17. I loved Night Gallery. One that always stuck in my mind was one were a lady was given a pin that looked like a bug and eventually of course it ate her up, but what stayed in my mind was one of the last scenes that showed this huge fake bug the size of a small buick (now that it had eaten her) crossing a misty road late at night. It was one of the silliest things I'd ever seen. But I still loved Night Gallery. I always thought that meant I would automatically love Twilight Zone, since it's still Rod Serling, but no, Twilight Zone just doesn't always do it for me.

There, I said it.

I'm sure I'm going to be kicked out of some club, but it's true, I prefer the cheesy technicolor horror over the black and white cheesy morality plays. So shoot me. I still love Star Trek, Tales from the Darkside and Twilight Zone the Movie, okay?

But actually my point about Night Gallery was that before it came on, I had to sit through re-runs of Laugh-In. So there I was, what, 9 years old, sitting in a darkened living room, 10 inches from the TV screen (which is still how I enjoy watching tv), sitting through Laugh-In, getting the more obvious slapstick jokes, but having most jokes whiz past my ears. I probably actually got more of them than I had any business to, because I also grew up reading my Dad's old Mad magazines, so I was way more familiar with the counter-culture of the 60s and 70s than most normal 9 year old girls. Then again, I never was normal. :-D Thank goodness!

So I know what sock it to me is, I know what the fickle finger of fate is, I know about the judge, the guy on the tricycle, and the nazi guy.

And joy of joys, I found some of it on youtube! Yay youtube!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment