Monday, March 9, 2009

Brother and Sister - Smile for the Camera 11

The 11th edition of Smile for the Camera is themed "Brothers & Sisters."

"Were they battling brothers, shy little sisters, or was it brother & sister against the world? Our ancestors often had only their siblings for company. Were they best friends or not? Show us that picture that you found with your family photographs or in your collection that shows your rendition of brothers & sisters. Bring them to the carnival and share. Admission is free with every photograph!"


My picture is my mom and her brother. It was taken in July of 1950 in New York, probably somewhere around the Ithaca region. My grandparents were living in a little trailer at that point, with their 2 young children, moving around a lot. My mom and uncle were only 13 months apart; in this picture he was just over 3 years old, and she was just over 2 years old.

The story goes that my mom was crying (and when I say crying, I mean the toddler type WAAAAHHHHHHH crying) because she wanted to be picked up by her Daddy, but he was busy taking pictures. There is even a picture of her just prior to this shot, standing there facing the camera, feet firmly planted on the ground, little fists by her sides, just wailing because the world was a horrible place, and who are these people that are not doing what she wants??? :-D It's actually quite similar to the way I act in the meetings my co-workers insist on scheduling after 4pm when they know, they KNOW, I come in early, unlike all of them. But I digress! :-)

What I've posted today is the next picture, where her big brother has come to comfort her.


But wait!!! Take a closer look at the photo, yes, he is a sweet big brother, so caring, so loving. Take a look towards the bottom of the picture, towards.............their feet.

He's standing on her foot while he comforts her.

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of deep metaphor on brotherly and sisterly love, but today I'll just take it for what it is - sweet and funny.

(I love you and miss you Uncle Steve!!!!!!!!!!)

4 comments:

  1. We all miss him, he was my only big brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a tender little picture! These unposed pictures are always the best.
    Evelyn in Montreal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it was windy and he was stepping on her feet to keep her from getting blown away! Cute picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it was windy out and he was stepping on her feet to keep her from getting blown away! Cute picture!

    ReplyDelete