Friday, March 12, 2010

Paternal Surname Cloud

A few days ago I did a surname cloud for my maternal surnames because I really liked Alana's blog post on how she created a surname cloud.

Below is my second attempt using Word It Out - this time I did my paternal surnames. My dad does the genealogy research on his side of the family so I'm really not familiar with a bunch of these names. What is interesting though is how many of them DON'T match my maternal surnames. These families were mainly in the Maryland/Minnesota areas and apparently there was just no mixing with New England/Indiana. So there. You stay on your side and I'll stay on mine. :-)


Also, because I love studying the English language, I noticed how my Dad's English surnames are so different from my New England English surnames - the sound, the structure, what other word pieces the surnames are composed of. That's due to the fact that the English who settled Maryland were very different stock than the English who settled Massachusetts/Connecticut/etc. Back to that never-the-twain-shall-meet-thing again.

Another cool thing I noticed in this set of unfamiliar surnames is one called: "Waugh". I particularly like this one as it is also the noise I make every time I manage to slip up or down the stairs in my socks.

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment