Sunday, March 21, 2010

4 Generations

Yesterday during a visit with my grandparents, I took an updated "4 generations" picture with my niece - a slightly uncooperative toddler!! :-)

That's the slightly uncooperative, but still adorable toddler next to her mom (my sister), then my mom, then my grandmother:


This photo from December of 1973 shows my great-grandmother, Cornelia Akins Mix Simpson next to my grandmother, then me, then my mom.



And finally, this photo taken about 1950 shows my mom, my grandmother, my great-grandmother Cornelia, and my great-great-grandmother, Hattie Kirby Akins Quick Robinson Allen (yep, she married several times).


One thing that always struck me about the photo was how Cornelia and Hattie's hands were in nearly identical positions.

Hattie, my great-great-grandmother, was born in Bennettsburg, Schuyler Co., NY in 1866. Think how different her childhood was from her adult years! She didn't pass away until 1963.

Hattie's first husband, John Akins (Cornelia's father) died when Hattie was only 24 and she had two little one's 3 yrs old and 1 yr old. She married Joe Quick the next year (1891) but didn't have any other children. Her daughter Cornelia went on to marry William Mix and have many children, but her son Charley died at a relatively young age (abt. 39 yrs old). I posted previously a poem Hattie wrote when he died.

These are the families with the surnames that have been so mysterious for me - the Akins and Kirby families. Maybe this will be the year!!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos - what a great family tradition. Good luck with researching these lines - maybe this will be our year to break down a brick wall or two?

    ReplyDelete