Thursday, January 28, 2010

Things Not To Do When You Are Tired, Part 1

Things Not To Do When You Are Tired, Part 1

1. Elephant Training

2. Exercises that require having a center of gravity

3. Eyebrow Plucking

4. Large Hadron Collider repair work

5. Genealogy Research

Oh!! You say, that number 5 doesn't really fit in with the rest of the Things. But wait, dear friend, I have a reason!

The last post discussed ad nauseum my frustration with my great-grandfather coming over in 1907 on the Slavonia, heading up to Allentown/Bethlehem PA, racing back to Hungary just in time to emigrate permanently to Chicago in 1911.

And I couldn't figure out why my great-grandfather (Vilmos Domele, a.k.a. William Domelle) went to Allentown. It was such a mystery, O woe is me!!!!

Today it occurred to me that I forgot to turn to the next page in the manifest records.

Now, before you laugh out loud at me, I've worked with LOTS of manifest records! I've been researching for years and years!!! How could I forget to turn the page???

It's Old Age, that's all I can come up with. Listen! You can hear my brain cells withering up and not being re-born. My demographic group has shifted, and not for the good. I. Am. Old. :-) And tired. What can I say? I use up all my brain power at work during the day and pretty much the only thing I'm good for at night is watching Family Guy reruns. Which, by the way, I'm doing right now. The things that make me laugh for minutes on end are the things like when Stewie forces a fart and pops a blood vessel in his eye.

See? Dumb Dumb Dumb.

ANYWAY!!!!!!

So here's the scoop. Turns out Vilmos was heading to Allentown/Bethlehem to see...I don't know, I can't make out the word that states the relationship. Let me know if any of you know what it is:


It looks like Jossef? Gossef? Schusler, on 314 or 319 South St, S. Bethlehem, PA. The other people on the page have nice normal relationships like "uncle" or "brother". There's one other guy with this same word and it looks exactly the same.

"argn"???

"aign"???

Got me.

But at least now I can look this guy up!!! Cause guess what, I have no idea who this guy is. Schusler, or any variant thereof, is not one of my known surnames that interact with/are related to the Domelle family. Oh well. One tiny step forward is still a step forward!!

And remember, it's always a good idea to turn the page.


2 comments:

  1. You yell at me for saying I am old...so, Stop It!!

    Here's what I think is the reason for Vilmos Domele going to Allentown. This Schusler fellow probably lived in the same town back in the old country and came over here to live. Vilmos wanted to check things out, so he went to see his friend/neighbor. How's that??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah! I just wanted to let you know that I've left a little something for you over on my blog. ;-) http://blackroseheart.wordpress.com/2010/01/31/something-for-me/

    ReplyDelete