Saturday, June 19, 2010

Surname Saturday - Akins (19-Jun-2010)

Well Dear Friends, if you've been following, you know I had a recent revelation on my AKINS family in that I discovered and have rectified a big ole mistake.

So now I have to re-do my old AKINS Surname Saturday post with the correct info. Here is my new ahnentafel for AKINS:


1. Leah KLEYLEIN - Me!

3. Deborah DOMELLE - my Mom!

7. Ann MIX - my Grandma! She was born in Tompkins County, NY and spent her childhood years there. After marrying my grandfather (William DOMELLE), they moved around a bit.

15. Cornelia Elizabeth AKINS, born 23 Apr 1887 in Village of Lockwood, Tioga County, NY; died 24 Jan 1986 in Ithaca, Tompkins County, NY. She was married to William MIX, of Tompkins County, NY.

30. John Francis AKINS, born 13 Mar 1841 in New York; died 13 Feb 1890. I've located him in Tioga County, NY in the 1870 and 1880 Federal Census's, but that's it so far. He was married to Hattie KIRBY (his 2nd wife), who I believe is from Seneca County, NY, as the earliest record I've located her in is in the 1870 Federal census in her Grandfather's household in the town of Waterloo. In his spare time, John Francis enjoyed giving different versions of his first name, as in: John F., John, Francis, Frank and Franklin.

60. George AIKENS, born abt. 1815 in Orange County, NY. He is my first ancestor to be from this county. He was married to Rebecca, surname unknown but most likely JONES and most likely the JONES family was from Connecticut. More on that as I figure it out.

George's will was probated in 1883, so he left Rebecca a widow. She didn't pass away until 1900. I am eternally grateful to Rebecca for mentioning 2 of her grandchildren in her will (Cornelia and her brother Charles, children from her son John Francis's 2nd marriage).

So far I only know of 2 children for George and Rebecca: John Francis, and a sister Mary.

120. AIKENS. My only bit of info so far on George's parents is that they were both born in Ireland according to more than one census where George stated this.

No comments:

Post a Comment