Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Will of George Akins

My last couple posts (part 1 and part 2) detailed the will of my great-great-great-grandmother, Rebecca AKINS.

Now, thanks again to the wonderful SAMPUBCO website, I can share the will and probate information for Rebecca's husband, George AKINS.

Here's the transcript of his actual will:

I George Akins of the town of Barton, Tioga County and State of N.Y. aged fifty seven years, being of sound mind and memory do make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following that is to my.

First - After defraying expense of a proper and suitable burial and paying all my just debts, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rebecca Jane, all my personal property of every kind to use and control and dispose of as she shall desire.

Second I further will and direct that my wife shall have the use and control of all my real estate during her life.

Third - I further Will and direct and give my son John F. Akins the use of my real estate during his life, and to come into the possession of the same after the death of my wife Rebecca Jane and not until the death of my said wife.

And I further will and bequeath and desire all my real estate aforesaid to the heirs of my son John F. Akins after the death of my wife and my son John F. Akins.

And I hereby appoint my wife Rebecca Jane and my son John F. Akins the executrix and executor of this my last will and testament and I hereby declare the foregoing to be my last Will and Testament revoking all former Wills made by me.

In Witness Whereof. I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 13th day of June.

George Akins
(his mark)


So let's see:

1. The will was made June 13, 1873. George was a Farmer, and was one in all the census records I've seen. Prior to this will, he was living in neighboring Chemung County NY. Sometime between 1870 and 1873 he moved to Tioga County, NY and stayed there until his death in 1883.

2. George helpfully mentions by name his wife and son. There is no mention of a daughter Mary listed in the 1850 census. Perhaps she died young?

3. George also confirms for me that he (along with his wife Rebecca) both referred to their son as "John F." Not Francis or Frank or Franklin; all of which are various names John liked to give to census takers, presumably to throw future generations of researchers off so that they waste years thinking some other John is their ancestor. Not that I'm bitter or anything great-great-Grandpa. Not bitter at all. grumble

The probate of George's will happened on 20 November 1883. The witnesses to the will, who were also at the probate hearing were A.G. Allen and Jerome (or maybe James?) Hungerford, both of Waverly, NY. There were no special notes to the will or probate records.

"Waverly" (in Tioga County) raises a flag for me because most of John F.'s 1st wife Gertrude BOWMAN's family lived in Waverly. This particular town doesn't come up in my records for anything else at the moment. So I'll have to check if there are any connections between the BOWMAN family and this A.G. Allen and J. Hungerford. I'm not related to the BOWMAN's, because my ancestor was John F.'s 2nd wife, but it still helps to research this corollary stuff in case any clues pop up.

No comments:

Post a Comment